The PERFECT PAIRING: Champagne Hervy-Quenardel Blanc de Noir 2005 with Goat Cheeses from Vermont Creamery
The Champagne: Champagne Hervy-Quenardel Blanc de Noir 2005
The Hervy-Quenardel family owns 15 acres of the Grande Cru village of Verzenay, Verzy and Sillery, in the Montagne de Reims. The sloping land naturally protects the vines from the harsh northern winds and maximizes the amount of sunshine the grapes receive. Approximately 80% of the land is planted to Pinot Noir (which adapts ideally to the chalky soil adding a unique complexity and structure to the wines) and the remaining 20% to Chardonnay (which creates a fine, delicately balanced wine).
This 100% Pinot Noir is getting the full, bold, winey characteristics of the Pinot as you could mistake it with a light red Burgundy if you remove the sparkles. This Champagne can still age for a good decade but it is also good to drink now.
The Meal: Goat Cheese Coupole and Bonne Bouche from Vermont Creamery and honeycomb from our backyard beehive.
Vermont Creamery is making artisanal hand crafted cheeses. The Goat cheeses are made of milk coming from 12 family goat farms in Vermont and New Hampshire.
Coupole is made with fresh pasteurized goats’ milk from family farms that has been coagulated and shaped. Coupole’s center has a dense texture and fresh, milk taste.
As well, The Bonne Bouche is made with fresh pasteurized goats’ milk from family farms, the curd is carefully hand ladled, lightly sprinkled with ash, and aged just long enough to develop a rind.
The Pairing: At starting, the bold and rich Blanc de noir Champagne is getting along perfectly with the richness of these 2 aged goat and the touch of honeycomb sweetness enhance this marriage.
Further in the palate, the Champagne fine mousse help to clean up the slight fatness of the cheese.
Last but not least, a long finish of herbal, fruity, stony taste will amaze you.